FUN CURL - SUNDAY'S 1:00-2:00PM
YOUTH LEAGUE - SUNDAY'S 2:00-3:30PM
FUN Curl and Youth League date to begin October 14. Sign up as a team or as individuals. Parent assistance is greatly appreciated to help with the youth curlers!!! If you need to be paired up with a parent that is able to assist with your child please let us know.
- All participants will need a Participation Form filled out.
- All participants will need to go online and fill out a Registration Form.
- All curlers Grade 5 and Under will need protective headgear. Bike, skateboard, hockey, skating, and riding helmets are all acceptable.
Suggested Kindergarten - Grade 5
- Start Date: October 14
- Time: Sunday, 1:00-2:00pm
- Cost: $150.00 for the full season and $100.00 for a half season (September - December or January - March). Cost includes the use of our brooms and sliders.
The curlers will be split into groups ideally based on ages Kindergarten to Grade 2 and Grade 3 - Grade 5. The curlers will have on and off ice sessions. Helmets are mandatory for this age group while on the ice. 2 sheet of little rocks for this age group to use, as well the youth rings are back. Each week will be a quick run through of basic skills, then hopefully a 1 or 2 end game to put those new skills to the test!! For first year curlers that are in Grade 5, FUN Curl is the starting point.
All FUN Curl participants will need a Participation Form filled out.
All FUN Curl participants will need to go online and fill out a Registration Form.
For protective headgear Goldline carries toques and headbands or Asham carries helmets.
- Suggested Ages: Grade 5 with experience and older
- Start Date: October 14
- Time: Sunday, 2:00-3:30
- Cost: $230.00 for the full season and $150.00 for a half season (October- December or January - March). Cost includes the use of our brooms and sliders.
Sunday Youth League Mentor - If you are a team that has at least two new curlers to the youth league OR has two curlers that are in Grade 10 or lower you are allowed to have up to 2 mentors play with you!!! If you have 1 mentor the mentor can only play Third or lower, and is not allowed to hold the broom for throws at anytime. If you have 2 mentors; 1 mentor should play lead or second and the other mentor can play third or skip (and can actually call the game or take turns calling the game!!!). The mentor can be a youth that is in Grade 9 or higher that has participated in the Youth League or an Evening League at MJFCC, or can also be a parent/relative/sibling of the youths on the team. All mentors need to take respect in sport. Mentors would assist the kids with turns, where to stand when throwing, where to stand when not throwing, team cheer leader, help kids with basic sweeping, call to other mentors if there are strategy questions, promote good sportsmanship, assist and instruct their team/sheet during the pre-game drills. Youth is considered 20 years of age or under. Mentors are not mandatory on a team.
Cost is $60.00 for those that do not play in an evening/afternoon league at Moose Jaw Ford Curling Centre (MJFCC). FREE for those that do play in an evening/afternoon league at MJFCC. If a team has 3 mentors sharing 1 mentor role and all 3 do not play a league at MJFCC the cost per adult would be $20. If a team has 3 mentors that are going to split the mentor role and 2 do not play in a league and 1 does the 2 that do not play in a league their cost is $20 each and the mentor that plays in a league is FREE!!! Price includes practice ice when available with your team!!!
The first Sunday will be a practice and a chance for the mentors/helpers to get to know the kids and make the teams. Ideally each Sunday will start with 10-15 minutes for drills/strategy then will play a game and try and make a goal for end of the first half to play 4 ends.
All participants will need a Participation Form filled out.
All participants will need to go online and fill out a Registration Form.
Commonly Asked Questions
How do I get my child registered for curling?
What Should My Child Wear for curling?
- TOP: It's no fun being cold on the ice...so wear layers...that way if you get hot you can take off your coat and still be comfortable in a turtleneck or hoodie.
- BOTTOM: Jogging pants, Yoga Pants or Curling Pants are suggested...something that has flexibility...jeans are NOT recommended.
- HANDS: A pair of gloves or mittens.
- FEET: We have sliders that Youth can use at no charge...just bring CLEAN Indoor Shoes with a good grip or wear curling shoes. Purchasing grippers for the feet is also a good idea. NO cowboy boots, NO winter boots, NO muddy shoes, NO socks are to be worn on the ice. You will be kindly asked to leave the ice and find clean indoor shoes before entering bank on the curling ice.
- OTHER: It is extremely important curlers of all ages do not wear clothing covered in lint or animal hair to maintain good ice conditions.
Are there lockers available for rent?
Yes! If you would like to rent a locker to keep your child's curling gear in, it's $50.00 and lockers can be rented on a first come first serve basis at The Curling Office.
What if my child misses a day of curling?
If your child gets sick or life happens and they can't make it, please contact the curling office and let us know they won't be in attendance.